Spitfire has real passion for clay-pigeon shooting
Most 13-year-old girls are crazy for boy bands and clothes, but Isabella 'Izzy' Thurnell, known as 'Blonde Spitfire', has a slightly different pastime.
For the last three years she has been passionate about clay-pigeon shooting and is now competing and beating competitors twice her age.
Last weekend, at Nottingham District Gun Club, she won both the English Open and British Open Double Rise Championships in both the ladies and colts categories.
The youngster, who attends King's Lynn Academy, said: 'I do sometimes miss doing girlie things with my friends on weekends, when I have to practise and compete, but I really enjoy it.'
Her mother Jenny Norton, 48, from Southfield Drive, West Winch, near King's Lynn, said: 'I think it's great she does this. She used to be a good gymnast, but broke her arm and never got back into it.
You may also want to watch:
'My partner Martin used to clay pigeon shoot and she used to watch him at Cambridge gun club. She first picked up a gun aged 10, when she was much smaller. The owner of the club said she had a natural ability and he started coaching her. She practises at a new ground near Long Stratton and has competed all around the country from Essex and Wales to Yorkshire.
'Her aim next year is to get in the England team. She's beating women now who shoot for England and are in their 40s. She already has sponsorship and has her own gun, a Caesar Guerini.'
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 9 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
Does your child have a natural aptitude for a sport? Email firstname.lastname@example.org