Specialist team called to explode first world war bomb found on Dunwich beach
A FIRST world war mortar bomb has been exploded by a specialist team on Dunwich beach today (Friday).
Suffolk police were alerted by a member of the public at about 7.40am this morning.
They reported finding a 'very old, rusty mortar', a spokesman for the force said.
The bomb disposal team were called to assess the shell.
The police spokesman added: 'They arrived and put sandbags around the device. The beach was closed and nearby fisherman were moved from the area.
You may also want to watch:
'An explosion was carried out and the bomb disposal team gave the all clear just before noon.'
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 3 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 4 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 5 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 6 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 7 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 8 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 9 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 10 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor