Special event in Lowestoft to showcase East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival
- Credit: Archant
One of East Anglia's most colourful fund-raisers is soon to be showcased.
And with just over six weeks to go until the 11th East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival takes place on Oulton Broad, a special event is being held next week.
Local companies and organisations can view a full-size dragon boat and find out more about the event as an open day is held at the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft on Friday, April 7.
The festival, supported by the Lowestoft Journal and The Beach radio station, takes place on Sunday, May 14 at Nicholas Everitt Park. And those interested in signing up a team for this year's event can drop in to the hotel any time between 11am and 3pm next Friday.
The staff of festival organisers Gable Events and charity, East Coast Hospice, will be on hand to answer questions and visitors will be able to sit in the dragon boat in the hotel garden, raise paddles and beat the drum.
You may also want to watch:
With new and returning crews from all corners of Suffolk and Norfolk taking part, you too can help 'Raise the Roof' of East Coast Hospice.
The Hotel Victoria has kindly donated a special celebratory meal for the team that raises the most sponsorship for East Coast Hospice at the Dragon Boat Festival and has made their garden room and garden available for visitors to the open day.
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
Events and wedding co-ordinator at the hotel on Kirkley Cliff, Jade Alexander, is thrilled to be able to help such a worthy cause. She said: 'The Hotel Victoria is delighted to be supporting a local event to raise funds towards the wonderful work East Coast Hospice are carrying out in our community'.
To take part in the dragon boat racing no previous experience is required. The dragon boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided and each crew is guaranteed a minimum of three races.
The festival, supported by Lowestoft Journal and The Beach, promises a fantastic day for competitors and spectators alike with street entertainment, funfair rides, inflatable activities and plenty of food and drink for all the family on the bankside at Oulton Broad.
For an entry form and further details, visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or alternatively you can call Gable Events on 01780 470718.