Southwold pier show in guide’s top attraction list
The Under the Pier Show in Southwold has been named as one of the top 10 'things to do in Britain'.
The latest Rough Guide to Britain ranks the show at number nine in its list, ahead of major tourist attractions such as The British Museum, The Edinburgh Festival and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London.
The Under the Pier Show is the work of inventor Tim Hunkin, who has created most of the quirky arcade-style machines that feature within the attraction on Southwold Pier.
Mr Hunkin, 61, said it was 'very funny' to be ranked ahead of the British Museum.
He said: 'It is impressive. I have never done any marketing or anything. I have never advertised. It's just one of those things that's spread by word of mouth. I just prefer to be in my workshop making things.'
You may also want to watch:
'I'm thrilled the machines are popular. It was my hobby. I love making them.
'To carry on with such enthusiasm you need to feel there's a point in it and to see people having a good time with them, that makes me happy.'
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 7 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 8 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 9 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
Southwold's The Under the Pier Show is the only Suffolk and Norfolk attraction listed within the 32 top picks in the things to do list in the 8th edition of The Rough Guide to Britain, which also describes Southwold as 'extraordinarily pretty'.