Southwold Golf Club to host fundraising charity event following large fire at the course
- Credit: citizenside.com
A charity event will tee off at Southwold Golf Club as firefighters are thanked for their efforts in battling a large blaze.
Southwold Golf Club will host the event this Friday, July 7 as they show gratitude to Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service after the blaze destroyed parts of the golf course earlier this year.
Fire crews from across Suffolk and Norfolk have been welcomed back to Southwold Golf Club as a token of thanks for all of their hard work in saving the clubhouse and managing the large blaze that engulfed 60,000sq metres of gorse in May this year.
And now two months on from the blaze, which broke out on May 7 in shrubbery along side the golf course, club members and guests will be supporting the event with the intention of raising funds for The Firefighters Charity by taking part in a charity golf day this Friday, July 7.
Eight fire crews spent three hours tackling the blaze on May 7 which started near the first fairway, with the tee box, parts of the car park and practice ground destroyed in the fire.
The golf clubhouse and shop also suffered substantial smoke damage as a result of the blaze.
Founded in 1884, Southwold Golf Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in East Anglia.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 7 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 8 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 9 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 10 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
Gareth Jones, general manager at Southwold Golf Club, said: 'We have 17 participants from the Suffolk Fire Service who will be supported by their district commander and the deputy chief fire officer.
'In addition we have 24 members participating supporting the charity day.'
The members and guests will tee off at 10am before they return back to the clubhouse for a fish and chip supper from 2.30pm with a prize presentation thereafter.
Tickets for non-members cost £25 per person.
There are some remaining spaces available, so if you would like to take part, call Gareth Jones on 01502 723234 to register your team.
For more information visit www.southwoldgolfclub.co.uk
Are you organising a charity fundraising event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively you can call 01502 525820.