Southwold Golf Club to host fundraising charity event following large fire at the course
- Credit: citizenside.com
A charity event will tee off at Southwold Golf Club as firefighters are thanked for their efforts in battling a large blaze.
Southwold Golf Club will host the event this Friday, July 7 as they show gratitude to Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service after the blaze destroyed parts of the golf course earlier this year.
Fire crews from across Suffolk and Norfolk have been welcomed back to Southwold Golf Club as a token of thanks for all of their hard work in saving the clubhouse and managing the large blaze that engulfed 60,000sq metres of gorse in May this year.
And now two months on from the blaze, which broke out on May 7 in shrubbery along side the golf course, club members and guests will be supporting the event with the intention of raising funds for The Firefighters Charity by taking part in a charity golf day this Friday, July 7.
Eight fire crews spent three hours tackling the blaze on May 7 which started near the first fairway, with the tee box, parts of the car park and practice ground destroyed in the fire.
You may also want to watch:
The golf clubhouse and shop also suffered substantial smoke damage as a result of the blaze.
Founded in 1884, Southwold Golf Club is one of the oldest golf clubs in East Anglia.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 8 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 9 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
Gareth Jones, general manager at Southwold Golf Club, said: 'We have 17 participants from the Suffolk Fire Service who will be supported by their district commander and the deputy chief fire officer.
'In addition we have 24 members participating supporting the charity day.'
The members and guests will tee off at 10am before they return back to the clubhouse for a fish and chip supper from 2.30pm with a prize presentation thereafter.
Tickets for non-members cost £25 per person.
There are some remaining spaces available, so if you would like to take part, call Gareth Jones on 01502 723234 to register your team.
For more information visit www.southwoldgolfclub.co.uk
Are you organising a charity fundraising event? Email email@example.com or alternatively you can call 01502 525820.