Southwold brewer Adnams teams up with Florida’s Cigar City in coastal collaboration
- Credit: Archant
Southwold-based Adnams has teamed up with Florida brewery Cigar City to create an ale celebrating their shared coastal roots.
Two Bays Oaked Pale Ale is named after the two bays where each of breweries is situated – Tampa Bay in Florida and Sole Bay in Suffolk.
The 4.4% abv oaked pale ale, brewed with pale ale malts and oats and hopped with Citra, Cashmere, Lemondrop, Enigma and Calypso, is described as having flavours of toasted oak, vanilla and coconut, balanced by fruity aromas of gooseberry.
The collaboration between Adnams' head brewer Fergus Fitzgerald and Cigar City's Wayne Wambles came about after both brewers were working with Magic Rock Brewery in Huddersfield.
Mr Fitzgerald said: 'Wayne is fantastic technically and has an amazing knowledge and, more impressively, an insatiable desire to share that knowledge and to learn more.
'Together, we decided to brew an oaked pale ale. We've created a fruity, lemon and pineapple hop aroma with a touch of vanilla from circulating the beer through a bed of oak chips.'
Cigar City was named as the fourth best brewery in the world at the Rate Beer awards in January 2017. Brewmaster Mr Wambles explained why the oak chips have been used.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 World War Two aircraft to fly over Norfolk's skies
'The unique thing with this beer is the infusion method,' he said. 'The finished beer will be recirculated through the oak in a closed system to eliminate dissolved oxygen and pick up the wood flavours. That way we get the best of both worlds – we get the extraction of wood sugars while maintaining the hop profile of the beer.'
Two Bays will also be available in 330ml bottles in Adnams stores and online from early October.