South Norfolk malt producer holds open evening
A south Norfolk malt producer held an open evening for local residents.
Family owned Simpsons Malt, which is this year celebrating its 150th anniversary, opened up its doors for Tivetshall St Margaret residents on Wednesday.
Almost 30 people dropped by to see how the company's malt is produced.
The site, which has been producing malt since 1872, was acquired by Berwick-upon-Tweed maltsters, Simpsons Malt, in 1986.
The site produces 50,000 tonnes of malt every year and has a storage capacity of 69,000 tonnes. The company employs 31 full time staff and two part time employees.
Richard Simpson, director of Simpsons Malt, said: 'We are delighted to be opening our doors to the local community, especially as we celebrate our 150th anniversary. We enjoy sharing our passion for malt, it is a really interesting natural process, which forms the basis for some of the world's finest beer and whisky. I hope those who attended enjoyed learning more about the home of good malt.'
The Tivetshall site makes malt for the likes of Adnams, Buffy's Brewery, Carlsberg, Heineken, Martson's PLC, and Woodforde's Norfolk Ales.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof