South Norfolk college will host model European Parliament
- Credit: Bill Smith - Archant
An event which will see almost 200 young people from across Europe visit Norfolk to debate major political topics has had its official launch.
Wymondham College will follow in the footsteps of schools in Madrid, Stockholm and Istanbul when it plays host to the biannual session of the Model European Parliament (MEP) in April.
It will be the first time in two decades that the parliament – which will see 180 students from 30 countries in Europe come together to represent their home nations in debates – has been held in the UK.
The delegates, aged 16 to 19, will be staying at the college, but students from schools and academies across Norfolk will be invited to take part in the high-profile event.
The University of East Anglia will host the final sessions.
You may also want to watch:
At City Hall, the Sheriff of Norwich, John Jennings, read a proclamation to officially launch the 38th session of the parliament, joined by students from Wymondham College and Thetford Grammar School.
Madelaine Scragg, from Wymondham College, said: 'We wanted a nice launch to get it going and from here on in it is all systems go.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 8 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 9 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
- 10 Rescuers resume search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
'The Sheriff had a good chat with the students and was saying it was good to see they would be discussing European politics because many of us don't know much about that.
'It's less than 80 days now before the parliament starts and we are really looking forward to it.'
The event will be held from April 7 until April 14, with delegates also set to travel to Westminster at the invitation of the speaker of the House of Commons.
Any businesses or organisations which would like to get involved should email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01953 609000 extension 4312.
Do you have an education story? Call reporter Victoria Leggett on 01603 772468 or email email@example.com