Sotterley duo set to rock with new business venture
- Credit: Nick Butcher
One man's long-held ambition to make himself a rocking chair has led to two friends setting up their own business.
Nick Shore and Tom Jones, who are both based at Sotterley Saw Mill, have started making bespoke rocking chairs they hope will stay in people's families for generations.
Working under the name The Sotterley Rockers, their creations could cost more than £1,000 each, depending on the type of wood used.
Mr Shore said: 'The whole scheme started because I wanted to make myself a rocking chair. I always wanted one.
'So we got some plans and made the first one but we weren't too keen on the shape so we refined the plans and went from there.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jones also makes hand-crafted feature furniture, and the pair regularly sell their creations at the Farmers' Market in Beccles. And so far the reaction to their rocking chairs has been really positive.
'People don't come to me if they want mass-produced,' said Mr Jones. 'I make one-off feature pieces. There's a lot of hard work goes into them.
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
'But I spoke to some customers who bought a piece of furniture from me four years ago, they've moved twice and it's gone with them with every move.
'You know they love it and appreciate it.'
And The Sotterley Rockers hope people will feel the same way about their rocking chairs, which are made using timber from the Sotterley Estate.
'I don't know of many other places that do the whole process in house like this,' said Mr Jones. 'We are quite unique.
'People are buying an heirloom piece, something I've put hours into and customers appreciate that.'
The Sotterley Rockers can be found at the Beccles Farmers Markets – held on the first and third Saturday of the month from 9am to 1pm at Ellough Airfield.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org