Solo swim challenge for Holt woman
A Holt woman who is training to help rescue people from choppy waters is set to take on two gruelling swimming challenges of her own.
Caroline Muggridge, 41, who is a trainee with Sheringham RNLI and works as a chartered accountant, is planning to swim solo across the English Channel in July, raising money for local charities, and also has place for the Lake Zurich marathon swim in August, where she will raise money for Help for Heroes.
The 41-year-old from Holt, started open water swimming in 2008, and after finding she really enjoyed it, decided she wanted to try a solo Channel crossing.
She went on to complete a Channel solo qualifying swim in April 2009, and at that time was asked was asked to be part of a four person Channel relay team.
She agreed and they completed the crossing in July 2009, in 12 hrs 19 mins, now she is set to go it alone with a solo swim.
She said: 'My current training includes two long pool swims per week which I do at Pinewood Leisure Club in Bodham but I will soon be back in the sea and naturally that will then be my training ground.'
She added: 'In swimming circles the 'big' open water swims include the English Channel, Lake Zurich and Manhattan Island.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 3 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 4 Mobile home fire spreads to nearby properties
- 5 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 6 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 7 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 8 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
Donations may be made to email@example.com for the Channel swim, which is raising money for among others, East Air Ambulance, Sheringham Crew Fund, Benjamin Foundation and Sheringham Skate Park, and via a Just Giving site for Help for Heroes, at www.bmycharity.com/cmuggridgezurich
A quiz evening with whisky, wine and cheese tasting is being held at The Lobster, Sheringham, event sponsors, on Saturday, February 19 at 7.30pm.
Teams of up to six players per team are welcome, team entry cost is �5 per team. Further details can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org