Snow forces closure of gym at Wymondham Leisure Centre
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
Part of a gym at a leisure centre which has been open for less than a year was forced to close after weekend snowfall.
The upper floor of the gym at Wymondham Leisure Centre was closed yesterday because of leaks in the roof after the snow overnight on Saturday.
Engineers were due to work on the problem this morning.
The leisure centre posted to its Facebook page on Sunday: 'The snowfall has caused several leaks in the upper gym roof. We will have engineers on site (this) morning to rectify the problem and hope to be fully open again by (Monday) afternoon.'
The leisure centre, in Norwich Road, was re-opened last April following a year-long £3.5m refurbishment.
The closure came after much of Norfolk and Suffolk woke up to a snowy Sunday morning, after conditions plummeted on Saturday evening.
You may also want to watch:
The frosty weather caused havoc on the roads, with a spate of crashes early on in the day.
One driver was taken to hospital with a suspected arm injury after a single-car crash on the A1075 at Griston just before 7.20am.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
The crash, which involved a Ford Focus, saw two fire crews - one each from Watton and Attleborough - rescue the person, who was trapped in the car.
The A11 was also briefly blocked at Thetford after an accident, and again northbound near Snetterton circuit after an earlier accident.
Fir Covert Road in Taverham, between the A1067 Fakenham Road junction and the Reepham Road junction, was also blocked after another crash.
And just after 8.35am, fire crews from Earlham, Carrow, Sprowston and Hethersett were called to a crash at Thickthorn Roundabout.
UPDATE: The leisure centre has now fully re-opened following a visit by engineers to fix the leaks. This morning, the leisure centre said: 'We are pleased to say that the problem with the upper gym has now been resolved and it has re-opened. We apologize for any inconvenience this may of caused.'