Snettisham man suffered two strokes in quick succession
PUBLISHED: 08:38 14 October 2015 | UPDATED: 08:59 14 October 2015
Â© ARCHANT NORFOLK 2015
A stroke survivor is calling on people in the region to take part in a charity fundraiser to ensure others receive the same care he did.
Paul Fisher, 59, suffered two strokes four years ago and was left without the use of his left hand.
But he said he feels very lucky to still be alive, and wants to give something back.
Earlier this year, he took part in a 5km fun run on Hunstanton’s beach for the Stroke Association charity raising more than £3,650.
And he’s now urging people to take part in the charity’s fundraising initiative Give a Hand, which will see people across the UK complete an everyday activity using the hand they wouldn’t normally use from October 26 to November 1. The married father of three, from Lynn Road, Snettisham, near King’s Lynn, used to be operations manager for the RSPB, based in Norwich, and took early retirement.
He said: “I suffered two strokes in quick succession, but I’m alive.
“The neurosurgeon at Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge saved my life. A large part of my skull was removed, and later replaced with a 0.5mm titanium plate. I’m like someone out of Doctor Who. So many people have helped bring me back to life and recover. The Stroke Association helped me make the journey from being a patient to a person.
“By getting involved with Give a Hand,vital funds will be raised to support people on the road to recovery.”
Three quarters of stroke survivors lose the use of one of their hands, and many have to re-learn the things they’ve always done – using their other hand. The association supports people through this rehabilitation.
visit www.stroke.org.uk/giveahand to download or request a fundraising pack.
Are you putting something back after recovering from a serious illness? Email firstname.lastname@example.org