Small but select Cromer fun run goes ahead despite fireworks postponement
- Credit: Archant
Every cloud has a silver lining and the cancellation of this evening's Cromer fireworks meant the plucky few who turned up for the resort's pre-display fun run had a much higher chance of winning.
Thousands stayed away from Cromer having got the message that the fireworks will now go ahead on Sunday January 8 at 5pm instead.
So the usual field of about 50 fun runners dwindled to just nine who lined up to pound an exact mile along the prom under the watchful eye of marshals from the North Norfolk Beach Runners.
First home was Michael McGillen, 47, in a time of 6:51:57. He was delighted with his achievement which made up for the fact that he and his family had travelled from their home in north London for the fireworks, unaware that they had been cancelled.
'I took part in the fun run last year and the year before but I've never won before!' he said.
You may also want to watch:
'We love north Norfolk and it doesn't matter that we won't see the fireworks. We're staying in Mundesley this time.'
The youngest, and most determined competitor was four-year-old Stacey-Ann Clarke-Jenner who ran the whole distance with her grandmother, Shelley Burton, from Thorpe Market.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
Mrs Burton pushes Stacey-Ann in a buggy around the Sheringham Parkrun circuit and the little girl gets out to run sections, but the fun run was the first complete event she had managed.
Norwich pair Ros Miller and David Evans both took part in the fun run last year and came back for a second attempt.
'We almost didn't come when we heard the fireworks were cancelled,' said Ms Miller. 'But then we thought: 'It's New Year's Day. We need to get out and blow away the cobwebs - let's go.'
As mid-afternoon approached, accompanied by 25mph onshore winds, fireworks organisers felt vindicated in their decision to postpone the event.
Tony Shipp, a fireworks committee member, said those watching from the promenade would have been covered in smoke and ash - unable to see much of the display - and there was also a danger that a firework could have been carried in the stiff breeze, injuring someone.
Mr Shipp said he was sad and sorry for those whose plans and businesses had been affected.
'Nobody feels worse about having to cancel than we do but we're extremely lucky that it's the first time in the display's 16-year history that we've had to do this,' he added. 'Hopefully, this time next week the weather will be a lot better.'
The decision had been taken by the committee as a whole after listening to the recommendation of the display organisers, Titanium, who had successfully staged the displays in London and Edinburgh on New Year's Eve.