Slipper swap for the elderly in Norwich ahead of winter
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Older people in the city are being urged to get ready for winter - and look after their safety - with a brand-new pair of free slippers next week.
Age UK Norwich will be at Pilling Park Community Centre on Wednesday in the latest of its Slipper Exchange events, offering to swop an old pair for new, slip-resistant ones.
The charity's community outreach manager, Bob Russell, said: 'Badly-fitting footwear is a major cause of falls, in elderly people, and the main reason older folk go into hospital in winter is through falls.'
The scheme regularly visits a series of venues around the city, to make sure everyone has a chance to benefit.
The Slipper Exchange is at 10.30am to 1.30pm at the community centre in Pilling Park Road, Norwich. And it coincides with a meeting of Norwich Older People's Forum.
Mr Russell said: 'Age UK Norwich puts a lot of emphasis on helping people to stay well, and stay independent. Both the forum and the exchange are parts of that picture.'
The forum meeting will be between the same times.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
The number of new slippers available will be limited, so they will be exchanged on a first-come, first-served basis. Bring your old pair.
For more information, contact Bob Russell on 07820 286635, or email email@example.com.