Slipper swap for the elderly in Norwich ahead of winter
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Older people in the city are being urged to get ready for winter - and look after their safety - with a brand-new pair of free slippers next week.
Age UK Norwich will be at Pilling Park Community Centre on Wednesday in the latest of its Slipper Exchange events, offering to swop an old pair for new, slip-resistant ones.
The charity's community outreach manager, Bob Russell, said: 'Badly-fitting footwear is a major cause of falls, in elderly people, and the main reason older folk go into hospital in winter is through falls.'
The scheme regularly visits a series of venues around the city, to make sure everyone has a chance to benefit.
The Slipper Exchange is at 10.30am to 1.30pm at the community centre in Pilling Park Road, Norwich. And it coincides with a meeting of Norwich Older People's Forum.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Russell said: 'Age UK Norwich puts a lot of emphasis on helping people to stay well, and stay independent. Both the forum and the exchange are parts of that picture.'
The forum meeting will be between the same times.
- 1 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 2 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 3 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 4 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 5 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 9 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinic as surplus stock becomes available
The number of new slippers available will be limited, so they will be exchanged on a first-come, first-served basis. Bring your old pair.
For more information, contact Bob Russell on 07820 286635, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.