Slimming World success as groups raise more than £10,000 for Cancer Research with clothes collection
- Credit: Archant
Generous slimmers raised more than £10,000 for charity by donating the clothes they successfully slimmed out of.
A total of 360 bags of clothes, shoes and accessories were collected as part of the Big Slimming World Clothes Throw, held at the Watton Sports and Social Club and East Harling Youth Centre Slimming World groups.
The bags were donated to Cancer Research UK shops in the area as part of the national fundraising drive being run by the weight-loss organisation.
Each of the filled bags is worth around £30 to the charity and this year's campaign is aiming to beat the total raised in 2017 – £3.3m in two weeks.
The campaign is now in its sixth year.
You may also want to watch:
Naomi Palfrey, who runs two of the Watton slimming world groups and the East Harling Slimming World group, said: 'I can't quite believe how many bags we managed to collect.
'I knew our members were amazing but I didn't expect such an incredible level of effort – wow! It was almost like a purple sea of bags.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move
'Collecting them up to take to local Cancer Research UK shops was a real workout in itself but all so worth it.
'To raise such a phenomenal amount for a charity that does so much to beat cancer, feels amazing.
'So many people don't know how much of a difference losing weight can make to health – including reducing the risk of developing cancer.
'Hopefully this campaign and our efforts for charity will help inspire more people in Watton and East Harling to improve their health and change their lives by losing weight too.'
Anyone who would like to find out more about Slimming World is invited to get in touch with Ms Palfrey – who runs the East Harling group every Tuesday at 5.30pm and 7.30pm at the youth centre – and the Watton group every Thursday at 9.30am, 11.30am, 5.30pm and 7.30pm at Watton Sports and Social Club.
Alternatively call her on 07872 435189.
For the Wednesday Watton group, which is also held at the Watton Sports and Social Club, 5.30pm and 7.30pm, call 07598 994247.