Slimming expert and pensioner team up for cycling challenge to raise funds for hospital appeal
- Credit: Archant
A slimming specialist is teaming up with one of her clients to embark on a cycling challenge and raise money for a hospital appeal.
Sabrina Barrow, 22, of Wormegay, a consultant with Slimming World, will ride 22 miles with Robin Rye, 71, of Blackborough End, and is hoping to raise between £500 and £1,000 for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital's Excel Appeal.
The appeal, which was launched in October last year and is supported by the EDP, aims to raise £50,000 for specialist care equipment which would improve the treatment and comfort of elderly people in hospital.
Miss Barrow's fundraising comes after Slimming World groups across West Norfolk chose the Excel Appeal as their main charity throughout 2016.
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital is hoping to spend the money raised on falls prevention equipment, specialist chairs, and a digital reminiscence therapy software used to support patients living with dementia.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'Something that hit home with me was that everyone sees charities that help babies or cancer-patients, for example, but you don't see so much dedicated to older people.
'There are so many elderly people in need of help out there. My granddad has gone into respite care.'
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Mr Rye has signed up for the challenge after losing nearly three stone through working with Miss Barrow.
The duo will start their ride at the hospital and cycle through villages including Bawsey, Leziate, Middleton, Blackborough End, Wormegay, and Tottenhill, before turning around and repeating the journey to finish back at the hospital.
The ride takes place on June 23.
To donate to Miss Barrow visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/sabrina-barrow
Are you raising funds for the appeal? Email email@example.com