Skills summit focuses on RAF Marham jobs
- Credit: Rob Howarth/Stella Pictures Ltd
RAF Marham has joined forces with MP Liz Truss and other agencies to inspire the next generation of young people at schools and colleges to learn new skills to be in with a shout for new jobs and careers, ahead of the arrival of the F-35B Lightning II jet at the station in 2018.
A new skill set will be needed to cater for the jets, which are the most advanced in the world, when they are based in Norfolk.
And with senior experienced staff retiring the base will also need these skilled staff replacing.
Ms Truss and station commander, Rich Davies hosted a skills summit at the station yesterday, and highlighted the significant job opportunities available for local people.
As part of the summit, there were stands from other partners and a central RAF recruiting stand. Also attending were representatives from councils across the region, schools and colleges, the New Anglia LEP, and Job Centre Plus.
Group Captain Rich Davies said: 'It's all about inspiring the next generation of RAF airmen and officers to want to get involved in the hi-tech part of defence. We need the kids aged 16 to 21 to really start engaging in this area, at schools and colleges, in science, technology and maths. There is a national skills shortage in these areas, so there is the opportunity for people in west Norfolk to get these skills and work in their own county.'
Ms Truss, Justice Secretary and MP for South West Norfolk, said: 'It's all about finding out what types of jobs will be needed when the new jets arrive, and then working together to make sure people in the area have the right skills.'
- 1 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 2 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 3 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 7 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 8 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 9 Town faces disruption from roadworks 15 miles away
- 10 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
Are you holding a skills summit in the region? Email email@example.com