Sizewell visitor centre gets security clearance
THE opening of a new visitors' centre at the Sizewell nuclear site has been cleared with security officials, The previous Sizewell B visitors' centre was closed five years ago as a result of increased security in the light of heightened terrorism fears.H
owever, the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), the UK nuclear safety and security agency, has approved plans by EDF Energy to open a temporary new centre.
Sizewell will be the first of the company's nuclear sites to re-open a visitors' centre.
Parties of visitors to the Sizewell centre, mostly school children, will have to be pre-booked.
Members of the public will be able to visit by appointment and the ONR will have the opportunity to undertake vetting procedures.
You may also want to watch:
It is understood no visitors will be allowed inside the nuclear 'island' – the ultra secure area containing the nuclear generating plant, reactor cooling systems and control room.
The temporary centre, to be created by adding a glazed extension to two 'mobile' training classrooms, will be replaced with a new state-of-the-art, interactive visitors' centre if plans for a �6bn Sizewell C plant go ahead.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
An EDF spokesman said: 'We are expecting to attract between 7,500 and 10,000 visitors each year. The majority of these are expected to be school trips for children of eleven years and upwards.'
The centre will be open from Monday to Friday, between 10am to 3pm. Additional opening on the weekends may be arranged.