Sixties schoolgirls from Gorleston meeting up for reunion after 50 years
- Credit: Lynn Gibbs
The year 1967 was a great time to be young. It was the Summer of Love. It seemed there were jobs for everyone and the cultural scene was fantastic.
Some of the biggest groups in the UK visited Great Yarmouth's Tower Ballroom and Gorleston's Floral Hall including The Who, Cream and the Rolling Stones.
A group of women who began secondary school at Lynn Grove High School for Girls in Gorleston in 1962 and left in July 1967 have organised a very special 50-year reunion dinner on July 21 at the Furzedown Hotel in Great Yarmouth.
Lyn Gibbs (nee Layton), Hilary Hanbury (nee Spall), Maggie Risby (nee Tyson) and Jeanette Riseley (nee Bartram) want to contact other pupils who were at the school at the same time to help them celebrate.
'We know that some have moved away from the area. Of course it is always more difficult to find women than men as they have usually changed their names if they have married,' explained Hilary.
'We have tracked down quite a few, but we want to make sure that as many people as possible know about the event and can have the opportunity to meet up with old friends with whom they may have lost touch. The Furzedown is offering a special deal for anyone who comes to the event from out of town and wishes to stay at the hotel'
Were you a pupil at the school between 1962-67 or do you know anyone who was? If so, contact the group via email at email@example.com to find out more about this special anniversary celebration.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Critics hope to deal significant blow to controversial NDR Western Link
- 8 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 9 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 10 Teenage girls in hospital after unprovoked mob attack
There is also a Facebook page at Gt Yarmouth High School for Girls 1962-67.