Sixties schoolgirls from Gorleston meeting up for reunion after 50 years
- Credit: Lynn Gibbs
The year 1967 was a great time to be young. It was the Summer of Love. It seemed there were jobs for everyone and the cultural scene was fantastic.
Some of the biggest groups in the UK visited Great Yarmouth's Tower Ballroom and Gorleston's Floral Hall including The Who, Cream and the Rolling Stones.
A group of women who began secondary school at Lynn Grove High School for Girls in Gorleston in 1962 and left in July 1967 have organised a very special 50-year reunion dinner on July 21 at the Furzedown Hotel in Great Yarmouth.
Lyn Gibbs (nee Layton), Hilary Hanbury (nee Spall), Maggie Risby (nee Tyson) and Jeanette Riseley (nee Bartram) want to contact other pupils who were at the school at the same time to help them celebrate.
'We know that some have moved away from the area. Of course it is always more difficult to find women than men as they have usually changed their names if they have married,' explained Hilary.
You may also want to watch:
'We have tracked down quite a few, but we want to make sure that as many people as possible know about the event and can have the opportunity to meet up with old friends with whom they may have lost touch. The Furzedown is offering a special deal for anyone who comes to the event from out of town and wishes to stay at the hotel'
Were you a pupil at the school between 1962-67 or do you know anyone who was? If so, contact the group via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about this special anniversary celebration.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 7 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 8 Former village pub for sale as home
- 9 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
There is also a Facebook page at Gt Yarmouth High School for Girls 1962-67.