Singers invited to join Broadland Youth Choir
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2014
Young people with a passion for music are being invited to join Broadland Youth Choir.
The group is now looking for singers aged seven to 18 to join the choir which performs at the EDP Festival of Carols every Christmas and last year performed in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Norwich Theatre Royal.
Musical director Carole Tims, who has run the choir for more than two decades, said: 'It is hard work but it's great fun. 'There's a great camaraderie between the members of the choir and they get to sing in all sorts of places, including cathedrals and Norwich Theatre Royal.
'It is also a great way to meet other young people who are also musically-minded.'
She said the choir sang everything from Bach to The Beatles, and already had lots of performances planned for this year.
You may also want to watch:
Next month the choir will perform at the Norfolk County Music Festival, and the choir will also travel to Leicester to take part in the musical commemoration to mark the reburial of Richard III.
In June the choir will once again join the cast of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and perform in the show at the Ipswich Regent Theatre.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 5 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 6 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 7 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
- 8 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 9 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 10 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
Broadland Youth Choir is part of the Voice for Life Training Scheme and choir members will also learn music theory.
Before joining the choir, new singers are invited to take part in an informal audition.
Mrs Tims said: 'I do like new singers to audition, but it is not scary. I just like them to sing something they are happy and comfortable with, and afterwards I have a little chat with them and their parents.'
The choir meets every Friday at Salhouse Jubilee Hall, in Lower Street, Salhouse.
The junior choir, for ages seven to 11, rehearses from 4.30pm until 5.30pm.
The senior choir, for ages 12 to 18, rehearses from 5pm until 7pm. The choir also has extra weekend rehearsals in the run-up to special performances.
To find out more about joining the choir call Mrs Tims on 01603 721912.
Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at firstname.lastname@example.org