Siemens confirms it will supply turbines for East Anglia ONE windfarm
- Credit: IAN BURT
A huge economic boost for the east coast took another step closer after global engineering company Siemens confirmed it would supply the turbines for a major windfarm project.
The German company will build the 102 turbines for the East Anglia ONE offshore windfarm, due to be built along the coast just south of Lowestoft by 2020.
It will manufacture the 75-metre long turbine blades in its new factory in Hull before investing £5million in Great Yarmouth Harbour, which will act as the pre-assembly port for the installation of the turbines.
It will help to support many of the 3,000 jobs that the project aims to create during construction.
Keith Anderson, chief executive of ScottishPower Renewables - which is developing East Anglia ONE - said: 'We have concluded Europe's largest project-specific wind turbine agreement just a month after taking our final investment decision.
You may also want to watch:
'It is now full steam ahead for East Anglia ONE, with ground set to be broken early next year.
'We hope that our plans will stimulate jobs and investment for the UK and across the region for decades to come.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 8 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 9 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 10 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
Michael Hannibal, chief executive offshore of the Siemens Wind Power and Renewables Division, added: 'Siemens is delighted to work with ScottishPower Renewables on East Anglia ONE offshore wind power plant. This also represents the largest single order ever for our direct-drive, seven-megawatt wind turbine.
'The decision to go with our innovative wind turbines underscores the contribution made by these units to reducing the costs of offshore wind power.'
East Anglia ONE is part of the East Anglia Array of projects, which will see a series of windfarms built off the Suffolk and Norfolk coast.