Shrublands site chosen for new health centre
- Credit: James Bass
A site has been chosen as the location for a new super family medical centre, which will see the merging of three separate Gorleston surgeries under one roof.
The site, currently the location of the Gorleston Medical Centre on Magdalen Way, has been chosen by the NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) following two public consultations held over the summer, prompted by major estates issues with the accommodation occupied by Family Health, in East Anglian Way, Falkland Surgery, in Falkland Way, and Gorleston Medical Centre, as the surgeries prepare for an estimated 3,500 increase in the local population over the coming decade.
Over 1,900 people gave their opinions on bringing the surgeries to one site and results found the Shrublands site as the favourite with 53.51pc of people that voted yes, 42.40pc said no and 4.09pc were unable to say.
The majority of people were against the other two proposed locations, with more than 87pc of people voting no to the James Paget University Hospital and 64.93pc of people against a new site at Beacon Park.
The CCG's governing body made the final decision on the merger as part of the 'shape of the system' proposals yesterday afternoon, and went with the public opinion that the Shrublands site would be most suited to the merger, which would see doctors from the Family Healthcare Centre and Falkland Surgery relocate and the other premises close.
However, it is thought that although the three surgeries would be moved to one location, the practices will remain separate. But with the opportunity to share a reception and some clinical rooms.
The surgeries are said to be in need of relocation in order to improve the facilities for patients and allow for the expansion of the services the practices can offer.
- 1 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 2 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 3 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
- 4 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 5 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 6 Man accused of murder refuses to appear in court
- 7 Jailed this week: County lines gang and man found with cocaine in his car
- 8 Shock as Ukrainian solidarity flags daubed with Nazi swastikas
- 9 Councillors quit Conservative group over multi-million-pound building move
- 10 Vicious burglars jailed for 25 years for 'utterly terrifying' raid
Gorleston Medical Practice is currently based within a temporary building on the Shrublands site and it is hoped that it can be moved into the permanent new building at some point over the next few years.
The CCG have also said that both the Falkland Surgery and Family Health Care Centre, provide services from inadequate premises and find it difficult to offer the services they would like.
There is no date for the new centre.