Show your support for A47 improvements at Highways England roadshow event in Dereham
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
People in Norfolk are being asked to 'bang the drum' for investment in the A47 at a roadshow event in Dereham on Friday.
Highways England has announced £300 million of improvements to the A47 with works slated to start in 2019/20 financial year.
Of the six improvement schemes announced, four will be on sections of the road in Norfolk. These are dualling the A47 North Tuddenham to Easton, dualling the A47 Blofield to North Burlingham, improving the A47/A11 Thickthorn junction, and improving A47 Great Yarmouth junctions including reconstruction of the Vauxhall Roundabout.
At the event in a mobile unit at Tesco Extra store it will feature an exhibition of the plans for upcoming major roadworks and staff will be available to talk to people about improvements to the A47.
Norfolk County Council has offered to work with Highways England to ensure the work can get under way at the earliest opportunity and is pushing for central government to commit to making further improvements to the route with an ultimate goal to see the whole of the road dualled.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Wilby, chairman of the county council's environment, development and transport committee and chairman of the campaign group A47 Alliance, said: 'We need to take every opportunity to bang the drum for investment in the A47, and there is no doubt the message comes across much louder and clearer when you hear it from the many rather than the few. 'Getting the A47 improved so it can cope with the amount of traffic using it now but also in the future is vital to the county's success. It's the key that will unlock a lot of other investment, including attracting businesses and high-skilled jobs, and improving quality of life for those who use the route regularly.
'Please help us, if you can, to show the strength of local feeling on the subject.'
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 6 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 7 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 8 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 9 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 10 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
The roadshow will be at Tesco Extra on Kingston Road in Dereham on Friday, July 21 between 12 and 7pm.
Further Highways England roadshows are planned for later in the summer, including in King's Lynn, Attleborough, Great Yarmouth and Hopton.
For more information on the roadshows, visit the website.