Shortlisted nominees eagerly await 2017 Norfolk Sports Awards
Tomorrow night the region's sporting greats will be recognised at the 2017 Norfolk Sports Awards.
Teams, individuals, coaches, schools, workplaces and unsung heroes will all be vying for the prestigious awards, which will be presented by Dave Taylor and Heidi Secker of Heart Radio at the Banking Hall, Open, Norwich.
More than 340 nominations were received for this year's awards, across the 11 award categories.
A team of seven judges, assembled from a range of sporting organisations, were tasked with the unenviable duty of whittling down the nominations to a shortlist of just three candidates per category.
This year, the shortlist is sprinkled with a number of new faces who have made themsleves known on the regional sporting stage.
You may also want to watch:
Kristen Hall, marketing communications officer at Active Norfolk, said: 'The judges were extremely impressed with the calibre of nominations this year, there were a lot of strong nominations from across the county, and we were pleased to see a lot of new names coming through.'
The Sports Personality category was put to a public vote for the first time this year, with more than 2,000 votes being cast.
- 1 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 7 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
This year's shortlist is as follows:
Sports Personality of the Year sponsored by Pilch Intersport
• Iona Lake
• Kimberley Morrison
• Ryan Walsh
Young Sports Personality of the Year sponsored by City College Norwich
• Molly Lambert
• Molly Thomas
• Toby Booth
Active Workplace of the Year sponsored by Waitrose
Sports Team of the Year sponsored by Easton & Otley College
• City of Norwich Under 15 Girls Cross Country team
• Norfolk Under 13 Boys Cricket team
• Norfolk Under 15 Girls Sportshall Athletics team
Activity in the Community Award sponsored by ReAssure
• Fitness Boxing
• North Norfolk District Council Leisure & Locality Services
• Special Olympics
Power Of Physical Activity sponsored by Premier Education Group
• Costas Eleftheriades
• Elliot Tolmie
• Larissa Smith
Community Club of the Year sponsored by Sportspark
• Sprowston U16 Girls Football
Coach of the Year sponsored by 4Sports
• Chris Hemstock
• Joe Stirling
• Tim & Pauline Ash
Services to Disability Sport sponsored by Norse
• Carole Darnell
• Jon Thaxton and Rachael Hutchinson
• Katie Warrant
BBC Unsung Hero sponsored by BBC Radio Norfolk
• Cecil Page
• Kevin Raisborough
• Stuart Pontin
Active School of the Year sponsored by Young Norfolk Sports Academy
• Avenue Junior School
• Aylsham High School
• Rollesby Primary School and Nursery
Find out more about the 2017 Norfolk Sports Awards.