Shiraz revealed as Norwich’s favourite wine
- Credit: PA
A smooth tasting Shiraz has been revealed as Norwich's favourite wine in a new survey.
Discount supermarket Aldi launched a Wine Map of Great Britain which revealed the city's appetite for the red wine.
Using data from the first 16,000 transactions on the Aldi online site, the supermarket found that Sauvignon Blanc is the nation's favourite wine, followed by Prosecco and Malbec. Liverpool emerged as the UK's home of Chardonnay and Birmingham is a city of Rose drinkers.
In Ipswich the wine of choice is Rose Malbec.
The wine map follows figures which show Britain's growing thirst for Prosecco and Cava has created an 80% rise in sparkling wine sales in the last five years, according to HM Revenue and Customs.
Around 17.6m gallons of the sparkling wines were sold in 2011/12, and that has shot to an estimated 31.6 million gallons in 2015/16, according to accountancy group UHY Hacker Young.
You may also want to watch:
The majority of sparkling wine is imported from established wine-producing nations such as France, Spain and Italy - but more is now being made at home.
Norwich-based Naked Wines has launched a funding round to raise £112,000 for an English sparkling wine. The wine, which will be funded if 1,200 Naked Wines customers pledge to order, will be produced by Charles and Ruth Simpson at their vineyard in Kent where the cash will pay for winery equipment and the wine-making process.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 3 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 4 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 5 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 6 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 7 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 8 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county