Sheringham prepares for glittering Big Picnic
There may still be four days until Christmas but plans for Sheringham's biggest event of 2012 are already under way - as the town gears up to mark the Queen's diamond jubilee.
The town council has already organised the venue, car parking and theme for the celebrations, which will run under the title of Sheringhams' Big Picnic, but are now calling on residents, groups, charities and organisations to get involved with the rest of the plans.
On Sunday, June 3 - to mark the Queen's 60 years on the throne - the town sports field will be transformed into a large garden-style party and host a huge variety of activities and entertainment, including a morning church service and an evening rock concert.
The picnic is expected to be the largest single event ever staged in Sheringham and will be free to all.
Town councillors launched the Big Picnic this week and are now inviting groups and residents to a meeting in the new year to suggest ideas and help develop the plans.
Mayor Douglas Smith said: 'We have got the bare bones with the stage and PA system and car parking but we want to involve all the town in helping us, and telling us exactly what they'd like to do.
'It will be huge, weather permitting there will be thousands there.'
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 4 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 7 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 8 Woman 'shocked' after brick thrown through living-room window
- 9 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 10 Fire at farm near Taverham being treated as arson
? The meeting to help organise the celebrations is being held at Sheringham Community Centre from 7.30pm on Friday, January 27.