Sheringham fitness charity Excel 2000 pools efforts to put its services in the swim
Sheringham-based fitness and wellbeing charity Excel 2000 is hoping a sponsored swim and bike ride will help it branch out and offer more services to its clients, from youngsters with special needs, to elderly people recovering from illness.
District councillor Graham Jones and Andreas Yiasimi, of the Constantia Restaurant, West Runton, will be getting on their exercise bikes to help on Tuesday, while a group of 10 regulars at a water-based fitness class run by Excel 2000 at Sheringham leisure centre Splash, will be spending two hours swimming lengths of the centre's pool.
The charity, which was founded by former nurse Penny Bevan Jones, already offers structured movement to music sessions in East Anglia, the Home Counties and Yorkshire, as well as running workshops for carers and individually tailored short courses aimed at helping people with physical and mental health challenges.
Excel 2000 member Peggy Smith, 91, has been attending weekly fitness classes run by the charity at Splash since 2007.
'I love the swimming as it does me so much good, but I also really enjoy the company and the structure that having something to do on a regular basis brings to my life,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
Excel 2000 recently launched a fundraising drive to help with the cost of setting up a network of well-being clubs, each of which will be run by a trained instructor.
New chairman of trustees, nursing home matron Caroline Whitbread has organised a scarecrow event, while Mrs Bevan Jones has been spending her weekends selling donated goods at car boot sales.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 8 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 9 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 10 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
The first of the new clubs will be launched in October at Excel 2000's new headquarters at Splash.
The Excel 2000 swim and exercise bike ride will be held at Splash Leisure Centre, Weybourne Road, Sheringham from 7am-9am on Tuesday. Sponsor forms are available at reception. For more information about Excel 2000, visit www.excel2000.org.uk or phone 01263 825670.