Sheringham Co-Op store team in Euro final - but have to settle for runner-up spot
A team of Sheringham food store workers shared Spain's 4-0 Euro triumph on Sunday, when they beat more than 130 East of England Co-operative branches into the top three of an inter-store competition.
Staff at the Church Street store were up against Co-op branches from Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex in the contest, which saw employees set the challenge of decorating stores with a football-theme from the kick off of the tournament, to the final between Italy and Spain.
Sheringham store manager Pat Arnold praised staff, who donned red, yellow and green outfits to represent the opposing countries' flags, put up posters and bunting, and handed out Spanish and Italian snacks to shoppers.
'We have a fantastic response from customers,' he said. 'And it has been wonderful to see everyone coming together and putting so much time and effort into the competition.'
Sheringham staff, who won bottles of wine, were beaten into second place by a store at Colchester, where staff won two tickets to the Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
East of England Co-operative retail executive officer Roger Grosvenor congratulated all those who took part. 'Stores across the region really entered into the spirit of the competition and put a fantastic amount of effort into taking part,' he said.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 10 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live