Sheringham and Norwich bike riders set to embark on charity trip
Two friends are set to embark on a gruelling cycle challenge around Norfolk to help raise money for a life-saving charity.
Mike Padfield, 36, from Sheringham and Matt Charlton, 34, from Buckland Rise in Eaton, Norwich, are hoping to cycle approximately 200 miles around Norfolk over three days in a bid to raise funds for the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI) in the eastern region. They will start their journey from Lifeboat Plain in Sheringham, on Saturday, May 7 and they aim to cycle around 70 miles a day.
They will sleep under the stars at night and carry all their supplies with them. During the journey they will be travelling along the east coast through Great Yarmouth, passing south of Norwich, cycling out to King's Lynn before heading back to Sheringham.
The pair aim is to raise �1,000. They have so far raised �400.
Mr Padfield, who works as an ecologist, said: 'We will be sticking to the minor roads and hope to pass through as many villages as possible.
'My gran, Mary Radford, used to volunteer with the RNLI in Sheringham in the lifeboat house, so it is a cause which is close to our hearts.' He said that he and Mr Charlton, who is a taxi driver, also hoped that members of the Sheringham RNLI lifeboat crew would be cheering them on when they set off on their journey on May 7.
To sponsor the pair and donate to the RNLI go to www.justgiving.commike-padfield
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 5 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 6 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 7 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 8 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 9 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 10 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges