Shameful. 90-year-old Second World War veteran has medals stolen
- Credit: Archant
A 94 year-old Second World War veteran has had his war medals stolen.
Alfred Wilkins' set of full-sized campaign medals were stolen from his Wisbech home while he has been in hospital.
Mr Wilkins' TV and other possessions were also taken in the burglary, which took place between February 4-22.
His family is offering a £100 reward for their safe return.
Mr Wilkins was an ammunition driver in London then took part in the Desert Campaign in North Africa.
You may also want to watch:
He was captured by Italian forces in Tobruk, Libya, and spent the rest of the war in prison of war camps in Italy and Germany.
His son, Paul Wilkins, said: 'While the medals have little worth in themselves, they are greatly valued by my dad and by the family.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 5 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 6 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 7 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 8 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 9 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 10 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
'My father would shrug off losing a TV but the medals mean a lot to him.
'Every year on Armistice Day and Battle of Britain Day he wears them with pride and on the couple of occasions he has done the reading at the Wiisbech Remembrance day service. The medals are kept at home in a glass case in the sitting room.
'Because of this, between us I and my daughter Claire are prepared to offer £100 for their safe return.
'This greatly exceeds their value and we hope we may get the medals back before the old chap knows they have been stolen.'
If you have any information e-mail Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com