Seven fire crews called to tackle blaze caused by wood burner
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews from across north Suffolk and south Norfolk have been called to tackle a major fire in Wortham, near Diss.
Emergency services were called at shortly before 5pm to the fire at a two-story detached property on Magpie Green in the village, off the A143 between Palgrave and Botesdale.
A wood burning stove in part of the property is believed to have caused the blaze which spread to the roof. The home, called Grove Farm Barn, is in an isolated rural location between villages.
Crews from Diss and East Harling in Norfolk were called to the scene together with Suffolk firefighters from Eye, Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth to tackle the blaze.
They were joined by further reinforcements with fire appliances from Harleston and Long Stratton.
You may also want to watch:
The fire has now been contained to the roof of the property and fire fighters are currently at the scene making sure that the house is safe.
Ladders are being use so that crews can access the roof of the building which has been blackened by the fire.
- 1 Mother's devastation after son killed in crash 'one minute from home'
- 2 Budget predictions: Furlough, wealth tax and VAT cuts
- 3 Teenager in hospital after being stabbed in group attack
- 4 Award-winning Norwich doctor - 'racism made me change my name'
- 5 Plans for 130 homes and GP surgery backed, despite 'predatory' claim
- 6 Green light for more than 250 homes on edge of Norwich
- 7 Search continues for man missing in the Broads
- 8 Concern for man who has gone missing
- 9 'Quite an adventure' - Missing owl found in kitchen 20 miles away
- 10 Man's body discovered near A47 flyover on edge of Norwich
Suffolk police are also in attendance to control traffic on the road outside the house.
Conrad Burgess, station commander with Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: 'This could have been a lot worse. That is wasn't is mainly down to the excellent work of the crews that were first on the scene.
'The homeowner was on his way home when the fire broke out, but there were four people at home in the property at the time. Thankfully they were safely out before we got to the scene.
'The rear part of the property has a wood burner and the heat from the flue had ignited material in the roof space. We stripped tiles from off the roof to gain access to the roof space and the fire itself. Firefighters used breathing apparatus and hose reel. The damage isn't as bad as it could have been.'