Town centre cordoned off after serious accident involving pedestrian and lorry
- Credit: Simon Parkin
Investigations are underway into a serious accident involving a pedestrian and a lorry in the centre of Diss.
Emergency services were called to reports of the accident at the junction of Park Road and Mere Street at shortly after 2.30pm on Tuesday.
Ambulances crews and a number of paramedic response vehicles attended the scene of the crash that involved a Royal Mail delivery lorry that was pulling out of Mere Street.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance landed in the nearby park, next to Diss Mere, and remained at the scene until 4.15pm.
The accident occurred where Mere Street joins the main A1066 road though Diss. The junction is next to a busy roundabout which also includes the entrance to Morrisons supermarket.
You may also want to watch:
Shortly after the collision people from a nearby charity shop could be seen using sheets to shield the scene beside the lorry from view as paramedics treated the casualty.
One local woman, who asked not to be named, said: "It is a really shocking thing to have happen. All my thoughts and prayers are with all those involved."
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
Another bystander said: "This area is always really busy with people andf there is always a lot of traffic. It can be really difficult even using the pedestrian crossing to get to and from the supermarket."
The junction remains cordoned off as investigations continue into the circumstances surrounding the collision.
The A1066 through Diss is closed from Tesco in Victoria Road to the Park Hotel on Park Road. Traffic has also been stopped on Mere Street with local diversions in place.
A Norfolk police spokesman said: "Victoria Road Diss is currently closed due to a serious RTC and is expected to remain closed for some time. Emergency services are currently in attendance. Please find an alternative route."
Police investigating the accident could later be seen speaking to people in Mere Street and a police drone was being used to get an aerial view of the scene.