Town centre cordoned off after serious accident involving pedestrian and lorry
- Credit: Simon Parkin
Investigations are underway into a serious accident involving a pedestrian and a lorry in the centre of Diss.
Emergency services were called to reports of the accident at the junction of Park Road and Mere Street at shortly after 2.30pm on Tuesday.
Ambulances crews and a number of paramedic response vehicles attended the scene of the crash that involved a Royal Mail delivery lorry that was pulling out of Mere Street.
The East Anglian Air Ambulance landed in the nearby park, next to Diss Mere, and remained at the scene until 4.15pm.
The accident occurred where Mere Street joins the main A1066 road though Diss. The junction is next to a busy roundabout which also includes the entrance to Morrisons supermarket.
You may also want to watch:
Shortly after the collision people from a nearby charity shop could be seen using sheets to shield the scene beside the lorry from view as paramedics treated the casualty.
One local woman, who asked not to be named, said: "It is a really shocking thing to have happen. All my thoughts and prayers are with all those involved."
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 9 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
Another bystander said: "This area is always really busy with people andf there is always a lot of traffic. It can be really difficult even using the pedestrian crossing to get to and from the supermarket."
The junction remains cordoned off as investigations continue into the circumstances surrounding the collision.
The A1066 through Diss is closed from Tesco in Victoria Road to the Park Hotel on Park Road. Traffic has also been stopped on Mere Street with local diversions in place.
A Norfolk police spokesman said: "Victoria Road Diss is currently closed due to a serious RTC and is expected to remain closed for some time. Emergency services are currently in attendance. Please find an alternative route."
Police investigating the accident could later be seen speaking to people in Mere Street and a police drone was being used to get an aerial view of the scene.