Search

Footage of rough sleeper’s final movements before death being prepared ahead of inquest

PUBLISHED: 15:50 21 May 2018 | UPDATED: 15:50 21 May 2018

Sergiusz Meges, whose body was found in a Norwich underpass. Pic: Norfolk Constabulary.

Sergiusz Meges, whose body was found in a Norwich underpass. Pic: Norfolk Constabulary.

Submitted

CCTV footage showing the final movements of a homeless man before he was killed in Norwich is being prepared ahead of his inquest.

Sergiusz Meges who was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/FacebookSergiusz Meges who was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/Facebook

Sergiusz Meges, known as Sergio, was found dead in the St Stephen’s underpass on June 10, 2015.

The 29-year-old’s death was initially treated as unexplained.

But forensic inquiries revealed the Polish national had suffered fatal injuries to his spleen.

At a pre-inquest review held in Norwich on Monday, May 21, senior coroner for Norfolk Jacqueline Lake said CCTV footage was being prepared.

She said: “We have footage of Mr Meges’ movements before he went into the underpass and footage of the movements surrounding the underpass.”

“A shortened version is being prepared.”

She said the full inquest is scheduled for June 25.

A murder inquiry was launched by Norfolk Police into Mr Meges’ death, which resulted in the arrest of two men from the Norwich area.

But no further action was taken against the pair.

In the summer of 2017, Detective Chief Inspector Marie James, from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) said there were currently no active lines of inquiry regarding the investigation.

But she insisted the case was still “open” and urged anyone with any information that might “develop the case further” to get in touch.

She added: “It’s one we really want to solve.

“He was vulnerable because he was homeless. If anyone has any information I would urge them to come forward.”

Norfolk Police confirmed on Monday that the case was still open.

Mr Meges was known to have had previous addresses in both Norwich and Thetford, but had been homeless in Norwich at the time of his death.

An inquest into Mr Meges’s death was originally opened on July 13, 2015.

The medical cause of death was given as haemorrhaging and splenic lacerations.

A full hearing is due to take place on June 25 this year. It is listed to take two days.

• Anyone who could assist officers with inquiries into Mr Meges’ death should call Norfolk Police on 101. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press