Scrapped rural weekend bus route saved just weeks later
- Credit: Dominic Bareham
A bus service between two Norfolk towns that was due to be scrapped at the end of February has been saved.
Service One was run by Norfolk Coachways as a Saturday-only service, but it announced in the New Year that it would no longer be proving the service after February 24.
Since the announcement Semmence Coaches, a Wymondham-based company, worked alongside Norfolk County Council to find out information from current service users to better understand their needs in the area.
It has now been announced that Semmence Coaches will reinstate the service that links the villages of Old Buckenham, New Buckenham. Banham, Quidenham, East Harling, North Lopham, South Lopham, Bressingham and Roydon with Attleborough and Diss.
A spokesman for Semmence Coaches said: 'We decided to take on Service One because it's well supported by local residents.
You may also want to watch:
'We're also local to both the first and last pick up point and we received backing from Norfolk County Council.
'Our first week was last week, March 3, although that didn't work out because of the weather, however we're now up and running and our Service One will start this Saturday, March 10.'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Residents' anger at Deliveroo motorcycle drivers using pavement shortcut
They added: 'It seems to be a well supported route and it's a community based bus.
'We're really looking forward to running the service as it's an important part of the local community.
'We understand that not many people knew of the service, but we'll be working with the local parish councils and hopefully with more advertisement we can grow the service and keep it up and running for as long as possible.'
Although the service has been saved, it is still currently under review by the county council, which funds the Saturday-only service.
News of the route being saved was announced by Attleborough Town Council, which said: 'The number one bus from Attleborough to Diss will stay. This service is currently still under review until June so if you want to keep it, use it.'
The Saturday bus will continue until 28 July 2018.
For more information on the bus route and the times to catch the bus, visit the company's website www.semmence.co.uk/