See the Hermitage Ensemble Russian Orthodox choir at Walpole St Peter Church
- Credit: IAN BURT
One of the finest churches in the Fens is set to host a performance of Russian Orthodox music.
The Hermitage Ensemble Male Voice Choir is a group of five male soloists who sing totally unaccompanied.
As individuals, they are at home in the opera houses and concert halls of St Petersburg, but they see it as their goal to maintain the Russian traditions of church and folk music and to bring that sound to the West.
The church in Russia was almost entirely suppressed during the Communist period and the Orthodox music was not sung, except privately.
Reviving the tradition when the regime relaxed its control over culture has taken much love and hard work but the church is now flourishing again.
You may also want to watch:
The ensemble will be at Walpole St Peter Church on Friday, March 24 (7.30pm).
Tickets priced £15 can be booked from Michael Anstey on 01553 849998 or online at www.wegottickets.com/event/390108.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 10 Man who felt lonely caught drink-driving, court hears