See the Hermitage Ensemble Russian Orthodox choir at Walpole St Peter Church
- Credit: IAN BURT
One of the finest churches in the Fens is set to host a performance of Russian Orthodox music.
The Hermitage Ensemble Male Voice Choir is a group of five male soloists who sing totally unaccompanied.
As individuals, they are at home in the opera houses and concert halls of St Petersburg, but they see it as their goal to maintain the Russian traditions of church and folk music and to bring that sound to the West.
The church in Russia was almost entirely suppressed during the Communist period and the Orthodox music was not sung, except privately.
Reviving the tradition when the regime relaxed its control over culture has taken much love and hard work but the church is now flourishing again.
You may also want to watch:
The ensemble will be at Walpole St Peter Church on Friday, March 24 (7.30pm).
Tickets priced £15 can be booked from Michael Anstey on 01553 849998 or online at www.wegottickets.com/event/390108.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 4 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 5 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 10 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk