Security reviewed at Attleborough cemetery following ornament thefts from graves
A town council is reviewing security at a town cemetery after a number of ornaments were removed from graves during a spate of suspected thefts.
Attleborough Town Council is calling on public support to help deter people from removing objects from the Market Square cemetery without authorisation.
A town council spokesman said removing ornaments from graves was upsetting for the relatives of the dead and was a criminal offence if the treasured possessions were being stolen.
The town's mayor Sam Taylor said: 'The Council asks visitors to the cemetery to remain vigilant and report any missing or stolen grave ornaments to the town council or to the police for further investigation.
'The council is reviewing security at the site but needs the support of the public to assist in deterring or helping to prevent the further unauthorised removal of such objects.'
You may also want to watch:
In May, the EDP reported how robbers were believed to have stolen at least one ornament from graves in the older part of the cemetery site between April 20 and May 23.
At the time, Mrs Taylor said she did not know what was the reason for the robbery.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 6 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 7 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 8 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 9 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
- 10 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
Mrs Taylor, landlady of the London Tavern in Attleborough, added: 'This is a despicable crime and I hope the local police deal with this quickly and somebody is brought to justice.'
Anyone with information about theft, damage or anti-social behaviour in Attleborough cemetery should phone the SNT on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111. Alternatively, call the council on 01953 456194.