Second World War US bomb group museum in Seething to hold first open day of year
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A museum commemorating a Second World War US bomb group this month celebrates its 30th anniversary.
Seething Control Tower Museum opened in 1987 and today is open to the public on the first Sunday of every month between May and October.
It is housed in the restored control tower of the former RAF Seething.
The airfield was home to the 448th Bomb Group of the United States Air Force .
During their time at the base, they flew 262 missions from December 1943 to April 1945, in which 500 men died and many others were injured or became prisoners of war.
You may also want to watch:
They left the base in June 1945 to prepare to fight the Japanese.
This Sunday marks the first time the museum will be open to the public this year.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 5 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 6 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 7 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 10 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
Patricia Eveson from the 448th Bomb Group collection said: 'There will be large displays of memorabilia, photographs and personal stories from the 448th veterans showing life for the young airmen and their involvement with the local people.'
In September 1943, the first Americans arrived at Seething. They were the 58th Station Compliment Squadron whose job was to prepare the base for the arrival of the 448th group who arrived in November of that year with their B24 Liberator 4 Engine Bombers.
During their stay they got involved with the local community holding children's parties, making hospital visits and joined in with local fundraising.
In 1959 the land was released back to local farmers. But on May 26, 1987 the tower was reopened for the public.
The day was marked with a large party of 448 veterans and families and over the years many improvements have taken place.
The museum stands guard over the entrance to Seething Airfield, a popular aviation airfield which is owned and operated by its own flying club.
The open day will run from 10am to 5pm this Sunday. Admission and parking is free and is based on Toad Lane, Seething, NR15 1AL.
Further open days will be held until October, while the airfield's popular charity air day is scheduled for August 20.
For more visit www.seethingtower.org