Second time lucky for north Norfolk’s mountain men
- Credit: Archant
'If at first you don't succeed' is the motto for a trio of determined men who conquered a mountainous challenge.
Marlon Fulcher, Tom Brown and Scott Olivey were part of a team of four men who in September 2011 had to abandon a bid to scale the four tallest UK peaks when bad weather set in.
But last week the three, plus Oliver Denton and Terry West, returned for the traditional Three Peaks Challenge - and successfully scaled Ben Nevis, Mount Snowdon and Scafell Pike inside the 24-hour target time.
Mr Fulcher, 38, from Norwich (previously from Cromer), Mr Brown, 29, from Aylsham, Mr Denton, 25, from Northrepps and Mr West, 25, from Overstrand, tackled the climbs, while Mr Olivey, 42, from Cromer, was the support member who did the driving.
Mr Fulcher said: 'We completed Ben Nevis, Mount Snowdon and Scafell Pike within the alloted 24 hours - 23 hours 11 minutes. 'The stats are 22 miles of walking or scrambling, 10,000ft of ascent and descent and over 500 miles of driving all within the 24hour target.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'Glorious sunshine helped but the heatwave was strongest in Scotland last week and the temperature at our start point near Fort William was approaching 30C, which made the going quite tough.'
Mr Fulcher, Mr Olivey and Mr Brown work for Break at Mundesley, and the funds from the sponsored challenge will be donated to that facility.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Man in 20s drowned in country park lake
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 6 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 7 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 8 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 9 Shock as cleaner finds a snake in house
- 10 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
Two years ago, torrential rain put paid to the Four Peaks Challenge, with three of the team's waterproofs giving out, and Mr Fulcher having to stop when he came across a torrent of water while he was trying to complete the course on his own.
? To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/Cromerroad3peaks