Second complaint made to KFC about food poisoning at Mile Cross Lane restaurant
- Credit: Archant
A second complaint has been made to KFC after a grandmother fell ill following a visit to their restaurant on Mile Cross Lane in Norwich in April.
It follows the report by this newspaper on Wednesday that an 11-year-old boy is suffering from food poisoning symptoms which his dad claims started after they visited the KFC on the Norwich ring road. KFC deny the claim.
Curtis and his father, Neil Austin, visited the branch a day after it re-opened following an inspection by Broadland District Council that found dirt on floors, overflowing bins and a need for staff to be retrained in cleaning procedures.
It was given a food hygiene rating of one out of five. The branch closed for two days while it was cleaned and staff were given more training.
The KFC has remained open since and on Thursday the latest food hygiene inspection report was published, showing Broadland District Council rated it as needing 'major improvement'.
You may also want to watch:
Helen, a grandmother from Ludham, visited the branch with her family on April 8 and says she had sickness and diarrhoea for the next two days. At the time restaurant had a hygiene rating of three but Helen said the fast-food outlet was dirty.
She claims tables were 'full of rubbish'. 'The bins were overflowing and the toilets were filthy,' she said. 'I had to try and find some napkins to wipe the toilet seat before I let my granddaughter sit on it.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 5 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 6 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Helen said she waited for more then 40 minutes for her food which included four fillet burgers, Krushems (a milkshake) and a children's meal.
'Whilst I was waiting for my food, the Krushems were left on the side the whole time and the fillet burgers were taken in an out of the bag,' she said. 'When we finally got the food the chips were cold.'
Helen, who only wishes to be identified by her first name, says she called the KFC customer service team following her visit and subsequent illness and received a letter on Monday stating a full investigation had been carried out into her complaint and no problems had been found in KFC's procedures.
It said: 'Our food safety policy and procedures comply with all current legislation, including those relating to temperature and have been reviewed and ratified by Woking Borough Council, our Primary Authority.'
Helen said she was offered a free meal on her next visit to the store.
A KFC spokesperson said: 'We're really sorry to hear that Helen was unwell, but records from our kitchen show that all chicken was fully cooked that day.'