Seaside chalets closed due to safety concerns replaced by temporary beach huts
- Credit: Archant
New beach huts are to be brought in to temporarily replace a number of chalets, which were closed earlier this year along a popular seafront due to safety concerns.
The 1930s chalets, which provide a colourful backdrop to the lower promenade below Kensington Gardens, in Kirkley, near Lowestoft, were cordoned off after engineers raised concerns about their structural safety.
The move meant about 50 beach huts were unavailable for the key summer tourist season, with a decision about their long-term future still to be made.
The 50 temporary beach huts will sit in front of the cordoned off area to ensure there is provision for next summer, while Waveney District Council and Sentinel Leisure Trust look into how to resolve the problems.
'The idea of this is that it will give the council three years of breathing space,' said Richard Amor, principal planning officer at the authority.
You may also want to watch:
The bid was unanimously approved by the council's planning committee at a meeting on Wednesday.
It will last for three years, after which the huts will be removed and Mr Amor said the long-term future of the area would become clearer.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
Waveney councillor Michael Ladd, a member of the planning committee, said: 'Clearly it is an integral part of the coastal defence and it has got to be dealt with.
'This will provide something on a temporary basis to allow people to enjoy the beach huts over the next few years.'
At the time, Stephen Ardley, the council's cabinet member for operational partnerships, said the closure of the chalets was 'extremely disappointing' but that there was no alternative, adding: 'The wellbeing of leaseholders is our absolute priority and we will not take any chances where safety is concerned.'
Those who had taken out a lease for the year 2016/17 were fully repaid.