Search is on for the best of food and drink in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
The search is on for the crème de la crème of Norfolk's food and farming industry.
Organisers of the Aylsham Agricultural Show Association's 12th annual Norfolk Hero Food and Drink Awards ask the public for nominations for the premier individuals and businesses in four categories.
In a first, the awards will be launched at Aylsham Farmers' Market, in the town's Market Place, on Saturday, April 7, from 9am-1pm.
Forms and help will be available for visitors wanting to make nominations and last year's winners will be showcasing their products, with plenty of free tastings on offer.
In another new departure this year, the 2017 category award winners will judge, along with the sponsors, the 2018 victors.
Alex Haswell, from Lammas, near Coltishall, has taken over from Jacinth Rogers as head steward for the awards.
She said: 'We believe it is important to recognise the hard work that many individuals and businesses invest and are delighted that the 2017 winners will be judging this year's categories with the sponsors, to acknowledge their contribution.'
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 4 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 5 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 6 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 7 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 8 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 9 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 10 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
As usual, the Individual Food or Drink Hero – who will be chosen by Aylsham Show president for 2018, Michael Gamble will be presented with the President's Tankard at this summer's Aylsham Show.
And the winner of the Overall Championship, who will receive the Ken Dye Memorial Salver, will also be revealed at the action-packed show, which takes place at the Blickling Estate on bank holiday Monday, August 27.
The Overall Championship sponsors are Lovewell Blake who will be represented by Chris Solt, who, with Michael Baker, winner of the 2017 Individual Food or Drink Hero award, will judge the overall winner of the four categories.
The Best specialist food or drink supplier, sponsored by Barclays, was won last year by Yare Valley Oils, Surlingham.
The Duck Inn, Stanhoe won the Overall Championship and Best use of Norfolk produce on menu, sponsored by Gressingham Foods.
Meanwhile, Best food or drink retailer, sponsored by Dewing Grain, was won in 2017 by Nortons Dairy, Frettenham.
And the winner last year of Best new food or drink venture, sponsored by Spire Solicitors, was Vanvino, Wymondham.