Scones and jam, cucumber sandwiches, endless tea or how about Champagne? It’s very definitely time for tea.
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Mothering Sunday is coming up on March 26. And what better way to treat mum, or your gran or auntie, than with a decadent afternoon tea? Emma Lee suggests five of her favourites.
1 Assembly House, Norwich
Enjoy afternoon tea in the Georgian splendour of the Assembly House, where a carefully designed menu of scrumptious delicacies awaits: dainty finger sandwiches, moreish cheese scones and bitesized pastries and cakes, served with a choice of loose leaf tea or champagne.
Theatre Street, Norwich
You may also want to watch:
2 Biddy's Tea Room, Norwich and Aylsham
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
An independent Victorian-inspired tea room, Biddy's specialises in creating tailored afternoon teas made by choosing your own sandwiches – offerings include salt beef and horseradish, goat's cheese, honey and almond with fig relish, and cucumber, cream cheese and mint jelly – cakes, scones and more than 50 loose leaf tea blends.
Lower Goat Lane, Norwich
Market Place, Aylsham
3 Congham Hall, Grimston
This is a perfect spot for a relaxed afternoon tea. Enjoy a selection of freshly made sandwiches, homemade cakes, scones with clotted cream and homemade jam, chocolate eclairs, mini tartlets and mini desserts – and if you are celebrating why not add a glass of fizz?
Grimston, near King's Lynn
4 The Cliff Hotel, Gorleston
The Cliff Hotel offers a delicious High Tea Experience for all sorts of special occasions, including baby showers. Choose from a selection of Savoy sandwiches, homemade fruit scones with Devon clotted cream and Tiptree jam, plus patisserie cakes.
Cliff Hill, Gorleston
5 Heydon Village Tea Room, Heydon
Give 48 hours' notice and you will be able to enjoy the full experience of a traditional afternoon tea in this quintessential tea room, where everything is homemade and hand decorated with love and pride on the premises using quality and, where possible, locally sourced ingredients.
The Street, Heydon