School's out on first day back!

IAN CLARKE A Dereham school was evacuated and firefighters were called after a light overheated in a reception class room.A teacher smelt “a strange smell” in the room at King's Park Infant School at about 11.

IAN CLARKE

A Dereham school was evacuated and firefighters were called after a light overheated in a reception class room.

A teacher smelt “a strange smell” in the room at King's Park Infant School at about 11.45am on Tuesday and the 999 call was made and all 74 pupils - aged four-seven - were taken out of the school.

The incident - which brought a bit of drama to the school on the first day of the new term - was quickly dealt with and headteacher Rosemary Kett said the children had been “brilliant.”

“We have regular fire practices and all the children knew exactly what to do.”

She praised the firefighters, who gave the youngsters some community fire safety advice.

Most Read

Ms Kett added: “We were slightly late for lunch but the children didn't seem to mind!”