School's out on first day back!
IAN CLARKE A Dereham school was evacuated and firefighters were called after a light overheated in a reception class room.A teacher smelt “a strange smell” in the room at King's Park Infant School at about 11.
A Dereham school was evacuated and firefighters were called after a light overheated in a reception class room.
A teacher smelt “a strange smell” in the room at King's Park Infant School at about 11.45am on Tuesday and the 999 call was made and all 74 pupils - aged four-seven - were taken out of the school.
The incident - which brought a bit of drama to the school on the first day of the new term - was quickly dealt with and headteacher Rosemary Kett said the children had been “brilliant.”
“We have regular fire practices and all the children knew exactly what to do.”
She praised the firefighters, who gave the youngsters some community fire safety advice.
- 1 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 4 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 5 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 6 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 7 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 8 'I can't stop Western Link work starting in my woodland'
- 9 Jailed this week: County lines gang and man found with cocaine in his car
- 10 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
Ms Kett added: “We were slightly late for lunch but the children didn't seem to mind!”