Scheme to demolish Windmill pub in Wymondham withdrawn - but new bid to turn it into homes could be on the way
Plans to demolish a historic pub in Wymondham to make way for bungalows have been pulled - but a fresh scheme to turn it into homes appears to be on the way.
In September last year, plans were submitted to South Norfolk Council to tear down The Windmill, on Norwich Road, and turn it into four bungalows.
It came under fire from residents, who launched a campaign to put the building - which is in a conservation area and is thought to date back 500 years - back into community hands.
Now, developers Vello Limited have withdrawn the scheme and plan to resubmit a new vision for the pub which would see the building kept.
In a letter to developers from the council, which is published on its planning website, an officer said: 'For clarity I would suggest the current application is withdrawn. This would make a clear distinction between the current application which was not supported by the community and the revised application which works to retain the existing building.'
The details of the new scheme are not yet clear and will be submitted to the council.
The original plans attracted dozens of objections from those concerned over the loss of the pub.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 City councillor investigated after Facebook golliwog post complaint
- 6 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 7 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 8 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 9 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 10 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
Wymondham mayor Joe Mooney, who is chairman of the district authority's planning committee, said: 'From a planning policy point of view I am pleased that the application to demolish the building has been withdrawn.'
• What do you think of the news? Email email@example.com