Warning issued over ‘scam British Gas’ calls
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A warning has been issued to householders following a spate of scam telephone calls from fraudsters claiming to be from British Gas.
Suffolk Trading Standards has received reports of "scam calls" from someone purporting to be from British Gas, in an attempt to gain bank details.
A 'Scam Call Alert' post on its Facebook page said: "The caller claims that you need to have your gas meter changed.
"They then go on to ask for lots of personal information, including bank details.
"If you receive a similar call, please hang up and do not provide them with any of the information that they are asking for.
You may also want to watch:
"If you would like to get confirmation from your supplier of any changes to your account, seek out their telephone number from an old bill and wait at least five minutes to ensure the line has been cleared from the scam call.
"Please report any scam calls to us via 0808 223 1133."
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker