Campaigners say they are on the final straight in fight to save village pub
- Credit: Ian Burt
Campaigners who have been fighting for more than two and a half years to save a village pub believe they are edging towards the home straight.
Beeston Community Enterprises Ltd (BCE), made up of local residents, formed in March, 2016 with the sole purpose of buying The Ploughshare pub in Beeston, near Dereham, which closed in January, 2016.
During that time, they have fought off three planning applications for change of use and site redevelopment and the dismissal of a planning appeal.
In 2016 they raised £70,000 from a share offer and were awarded further funds in grants and community loans to buy the pub but were unable to proceed while the planning applications continued.
In September this year the planning appeal was dismissed, and the owner agreed to sell the pub.
The BCE committee went to work throughout October to secure new grants and loans totalling £100,000.
By adding this to the existing share capital of £70,000 they now have £170,000- toward buying.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 10 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
An AGM and public meeting is being held tonight (Thursday, November 1) and BCE will launch a new share offer to raise a minimum of £100,000 and a target of £130,000 which will allow them to buy the pub and have enough working capital to reopen it with a shop coffee room.
This will give back the village a central meeting place and hub.
To buy shares, minimum purchase £50, visit www.beestonploufgshare.com and click on the 'Crowdfunder' link.