Sanctuary open day near Diss attracts hundreds
Hundreds of people turned out in their winter warmers to sneak a peak behind the usually closed doors of a Norfolk horse sanctuary.
Redwings, which opens its doors only twice a year, offered the chance to show people the first-hand work it does at its annual Christmas open weekend.
The centre, in Hapton, near Long Stratton, is home to 1,200 horses, ponies and donkeys and activities were available for the whole family.
Youngsters were encouraged to get hands-on with a go at pony grooming, while others were able to take advantage of mince pies and cakes in the caf�.
Handling displays also took place and of course there were numerous horses and ponies to view and pet.
Assistant press officer Stuart Hillis said more than 300 people visited the centre on Saturday, with about 800 expected over the weekend.
He added: 'It's an opportunity to give the public first-hand experience of what we do and to get up close and personal with our horses, mules, donkeys and ponies.
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 8 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 9 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
'Obviously there's adoption as well and it gives visitors a chance to meet them.
'It's a great way of raising the profile of the charity and people even bring in money to us.
'It's a great way to give something back to our supporters and to give a hand-on experience of what we do and where their money goes.'
For more information on the charity visit the website at www.redwings.co.uk.