Sailing club for young people is relaunched at Whitlingham
- Credit: supplied by OnBoard Adventure Club
Young sailors are having fun out on the water with a newly relaunched sailing club.
Whitlingham Adventure, in Norwich, has relaunched its OnBoard Adventure Club for 2017.
At the launch this month the young sailors enjoyed a refresher sailing session, with a chance to brush up on their skills at the start of the season, and they also played games including follow-my-leader and took part in a short race.
Mark Thompson, senior instructor at the centre, said: 'Whitlingham Outdoor Education Centre has been relaunched in April 2017 as Whitlingham Adventure, so we are relaunching our OnBoard Club to create more of a community feel.
'These sessions will be led by instructors, but will adapt to the young sailors and windsurfers needs, with an aim of encouraging participation and having fun.'
You may also want to watch:
For the first time, the OnBoard programme is being run through a club membership scheme.
This means the young people involved are able to join as members and then receive discounted sessions and be part of the Adventure Club community.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
Run by the RYA, OnBoard is a grass roots programme which introduces sailing and windsurfing to young people aged eight to 18.
Whitlingham's OnBoard Adventure Clubs takes place every Saturday morning from 10.30am until 1pm.
It is open to all young people aged eight to 18 years with the Stage 1 RYA qualification or above.
To find out more information about the OnBoard Adventure Club, visit www.norfolk.gov.uk/out-and-about-in-norfolk/whitlingham-adventure/youth
For more about the RYA, visit www.rya.org.uk/go/onboard
Do you have a Local Life story?