Safety call issued after teenager killed in crash on outskirts of Norwich at North Walsham Road, Spixworth
Calls have been made for safety improvements to be made to a road on the outskirts of Norwich following a second fatal crash this month.
A man in his late teens died in a crash involving two vehicles heading in the opposite direction on the B1150 North Walsham Road between the junction of Crostwick Lane, Spixworth and Norwich Rugby Club.
Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Team (SCIT) said the victim, who has not been named but was the driver of one of the vehicles, died at the scene of the crash which happened at just before 10am yesterday.
The male driver and the female passenger of the other vehicle were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for treatment. A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said the air ambulance, three rapid response vehicles and a land ambulance attended.
He said: 'We were called at 10am and arrived on scene at 10.07am. Sadly despite our best efforts one casualty was declared deceased at the scene and our thoughts are with the family.'
It follows a crash which happened on Tuesday, June 5 at about 10.40pm on the same road, which has a 60mph limit, at Beeston St Andrew, close to the Beeston Lane junction, in which a cyclist in his 40s died.
Jo Culling, a sales assistant at the HFG Farm Shop on North Walsham Road, said something needed to be done following another fatal crash. 'I think it should be made 50mph and there should be speed cameras here. They go speeding past. We have motorbikes go hurtling past and we wait for the crash at the end of it.'
- 1 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 5 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 9 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
Bryan Edwards, a former Norfolk Safety Camera Partnership manager who lives in Spixworth and who himself survived a fatal head on crash on the North Walsham Road in February 1998, said the bend near to the rugby club and farm shop needed 'more signage' or flashing slow down signs to warn drivers.
The road was closed following yesterday's crash with motorists advised to avoid the area until it reopened at 2.30pm.
Witnesses should call police on 101.