Runner takes on his 91st marathon through Norwich today
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
For most people running one marathon is a big enough challenge, but Ben Smith has set himself the gruelling task of running an incredible 401 marathons in as many days.
Mr Smith aims to raise £250,000 for anti-bullying charities Stonewall and Kidscape through his 401 Challenge, and today he is in Norwich to complete his 91st run.
Ahead of starting his latest marathon on Unthank Road this morning, he popped into Cringleford CE VA Primary School where pupils were inspired by his amazing challenge.
'It's always good to have inspirational people come into assembly, and Ben definitely fitted the bill,' said headteacher Neil Henery.
'Ben came in to talk about why he was doing the marathon challenge and then went off to do his 91st marathon. I think everyone was quite amazed anybody could consider doing that many consecutive runs.'
He said quite a lot of pupils at the school liked doing cross country and junior Park Run, and that they enjoyed asking Mr Smith questions about his challenge.
Mr Smith, who lives near Bristol, started his 401 Challenge on September 1 and is running marathons all over the UK.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 6 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 7 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 10 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
He ran a marathon in Lowestoft on Saturday and one in Great Yarmouth on Sunday before heading to Norwich today.
He will be running a second marathon in the city tomorrow before moving on to Thetford on Wednesday.
For more about Mr Smith's quest visit www.the401challenge.co.uk and find the challenge on Facebook.